Ask Colleen King - Blogs

Blogs - Comment(s)


Medicare–is it enough?

07-29-2008 by Colleen King

Medicare Supplements, Medicare HMOs, do you need anything more than original Medicare? Well, if you’ve looked at how it works, you’ll know that there can be some hefty costs especially if you are hospitalized.




Medicare Part A you automatically get at age 65 if you’ve worked a specific length of time in the US. This mainly covers hospitalization. The big expense here is that you have a deductible, and unlike most insurance plans, these are ‘per hospitalization’, not calendar year deductibles. in 2008, the Part A deductible is $1024, and this goes up pretty much every year. So if you are hospitalized in February, and then again a few months later for an unrelated problem, you’re hit with another deductible.








Part B you have to buy and this takes care of things more along the line of doctor visits and outpatient procedures. With Part B, this year the cost is $93/month and you have a $135 deductible, but that’s once a year. Where the expense comes in is that Part B is that it covers 80%, leaving you with 20% which of course can add up.


So, having some type of additional coverage is pretty important, especially for that Part A deductible! in order to have any of these additional types of coverage one does have to have both Parts A and B


First, there are two basic categories of ‘additional’ Medicare coverage, Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage plans. Medicare Advantage plans further divide into Medicare HMOs, regional PPOs, Private Fee For Service (PFFS) plans and medical savings account plans. I’ll be skipping the last two because the PFFS plans are fraught with problems and being phased out, and the savings account plans aren’t catching on.


Medicare HMOs function like regular HMOs, from the aspect that you pick a primary care doctor and you then have a network of doctors and hospitals that you get your care from. One advantage of these over the supplements is that during the annual open enrollment period, November 15 to December 31, you can change to another plan if you aren’t happy without going through underwriting–BIG plus especially as yu get older and have health issues. BEST part of these is that they are free in most counties, particularly in Southern California.


Medicare Supplements function more like a PPO, except that the ‘network’ for this are providers that take Medicare–leaves it pretty wide open. The plan designs are identical because they are designed by the federal government. Some carriers offer some limited extras, but mainly you want to look at the price of these. Comparable to these are the Regional PPOs. These are offered on a limited basis, they aren’t everywhere. And there is a network, the specific network for this product for the carrier you are insured by. Again, these may end up going by the wayside since the HMOs and Supplements by far blow away the competition.


So talk to your agent to see what is going to work best for you–Be well!



Share



Leave A Comment



0 Response(s) so far


No Record Found