Ask Colleen King - Blogs

Blogs - Comment(s)

Some answers to ‘what do I do about health insurance for my new grad?’

05-10-2010 by Colleen King

In my last article I talked about the impending herd of new graduates, high school and college, and that people are now needing to address what to do about their health insurance.

Again, If your high school grad is going to college, then of course they can stay on your group health plan if you want them to. The health care reform bill has passed, one of the FEW things that comes into effect this year is allowing overage dependents up to age 26 to stay on their parents’ plan. That is supposed to to go into effect September 23 this year, but most major carriers have said they will implement this early. But should you do it?

Check the cost of doing this–if you only have one child it might be more expensive to go that way. if you have more than one child on the group plan, usually it is the same cost regardless of the number of kids. So ask.

Other options to consider–There are short term health plans available that I refer to as ‘accident and illness’ plans. Generally they don’t cover maternity, routine care or anything pre-existing. But if someone gets sick or injured, which tends to happen in your 20s, then you are covered subject to the deductible. Because they don’t cover pre-existing conditions, the underwriting review period is very quick and these can be set up in a couple of days usually. They can either be purchased on a month to month basis for a maximum of 6 months, or if you know specifically how long you will need it you can purchase a certain number of days. It’s affordable–one carrier I use for these, in Los Angeles County a 22 year old can get a policy with a $1000 deductible for $87/month. Or if you knew you only needed one month, or 30 days, that same coverage would cost $51.30.

Or, if you’re not sure what the future holds for your new grad, no job prospects on the horizon, you would probably want to consider a regular individual health plan. Rates on these really run the gamut, so I won’t go into a lot of detail here, but for a 22 year old male, in a Northridge zip code, standard rates range from $44 – $440/month.

So there are ways to get your new grad covered; consider talking to an independent agent to sort through the best options for you.

Subscribe above, and keep apprised of insurance happenings. It’s not necessarily as dry as it sounds.


Category: Uncategorized

Leave A Comment

0 Response(s) so far

No Record Found